swedish Unimog help needed

Guest Diethelm Berlage

Guest Diethelm Berlage

Hello,

I´m a hobbymodeller from germany an build specially vehicle-familys. This time I will build another Unimog. I will build an Unimog 1550 with a mounted ISO-container. I friend of me take photos some years ago. The unimog looks longer than our german U 1300. But the container is the problem. I can see on the plate the name "swedeson". Is it a company, who build the container? But I don´t find something about the company in the internet. How long is the container? 8 or 9 feet long? Someone told me, only the kustartilleriet need Unimogs.

I don´t know to show here photos, so I have a link to my photobucket with photos from the real vehicle:

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/didiberlage/library/unimog?sort=3&page=1

I hope, someone in sweden can help me,

Didi

Guest weekendwarrior

The Unimog is used and has been used in small numbers all over the Swedish armed forces, not only the coastal artillery.

The container on your picture looks like 8 foot long. I've never heard of a size of 9 foot in Sweden, it use to be 6, 8 or 10 foot for the small containers and 20, 30 and 40 for the big ones.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to be a standard shipping container, and that size is either the 10ft or 8ft version, but the truck can probably carry a 16ft container to. The KFOR on the sides of the cabin tells me it was used during the conflict in the balkans during the swedish peacekeeping mission there.

The unimog is used in several versions in sweden. Some where, as you hears was used by the coastal artillery (KA). The problem was that some of the trucks they bought specially for KA was not large and powerfull enought to tow some of the cannons used, so the was used for transporting troops and ammunition instead in KA, and also in other units.

In my national guards unit we have several unimogs built around 95-96 with 4 door cabins (fire truck cabin?) and a flatbed with tarpaulin on top. The cabin seats 6 persons and has a roof hatch for the use of KSP58 (7,62 machinegun) against aircraft and other threats. In my opinion it's an great truck for all normal military use, and it also has a low fuelconsumption of only 0,8 liters diesel/10km.

Just recently sweden bought another bunch of unimogs just a year ago, and i think more will follow!

Some pictures of swedish military unimogs can be viewed att the swedish reseller of unimogs http://www.swedmog.se/Militrauppdrag_918.html

The type I use in the national guard is the one all the way down on the right.

Guest Diethelm Berlage

Thank´s for the help. Someone who read my construction report in a german militärymodelerforum give me some tip: The distance of the slits in the side for a forklift is a standart. So I can check the lenght from the container. And than it must be 10 feet. (See the drawing in my photos). But can I check another way? As long is the distance of the Twistlocks in the Unimog? Can somebody on the Unimog measure, if there are U1550? Or is it the same lenght as the U 2150 and U5000? I found the side with old swedish Unimogs some day before.

Didi

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived