Royal Navy's framtida minröjningsstyrkor

Perman

Navy Lookout har låtit en f d sjöofficer som tjänstgjort 8 år på minjaktfartyg analysera Royal Navy's beslut att helt gå över till obemannade minröjningsförband i framtiden. Han tror att bemannade minjaktfartyg är så otroligt mångsidiga och har så många fördelar på olika sätt att det inte kommer att funka. Samtidigt så är den obemannade minröjningstekniken fortfarande så outvecklad att han anser att det är ett förhastat beslut att helt förlita sig på denna. Royal Navy riskerar därmed att förlora sitt "MCM premiership". 

The RN’s pioneering of autonomous mine warfare is to be welcomed, but “taking the sailor out of the minefield” entirely is perhaps just too ambitious. A more balanced approach is required over a much longer transition period. The ambition to minimise personnel exposure to risk is well-founded but there will always be operational and tactical reasons that will require ships, sailors and marines to get up close and personal with the mine threat.

Risky business? – Royal Navy goes “all in” with autonomous mine warfare

(navylookout.com)

spacer.png

(foto: navylookout.com)

/Per

Edited by Perman
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Offshore Support Vessel, MV Island Crown arrived in Devonport yesterday on her delivery voyage from Ulsteinvik, Norway. She will join the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and operate Uncrewed Surface Vehicles (USV) in support of mine countermeasures tasks around the UK and in European waters.

Mothership to support autonomous mine hunting systems arrives in the UK

(navylookout.com)

image.thumb.png.f3d57fba62be27ebbcf03f9cc5d03687.png

(foto: navylookout.cm)

Efter en mindre konvertering så kommer fartyget att överföras till RFA (Royal Fleet Auxiliary) senare i år.

/Per

Edited by Perman
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2023 at 9:15 PM, Perman said:

Offshore Support Vessel, MV Island Crown arrived in Devonport yesterday on her delivery voyage from Ulsteinvik, Norway. She will join the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and operate Uncrewed Surface Vehicles (USV) in support of mine countermeasures tasks around the UK and in European waters.

Mothership to support autonomous mine hunting systems arrives in the UK

(navylookout.com)

Efter en mindre konvertering så kommer fartyget att överföras till RFA (Royal Fleet Auxiliary) senare i år.

/Per

Fartyget MV Island Crown har nu fått namnet RFA Stirling Castle. Fartyget ligger i Devonport för installation av militära kommunikationssystem. Devonport är en av Royal Navys flottbaser och den finns i sydvästra England.

New mine-hunting support ship named

• Thanks 1