"Beam me up"

Guest J-Star

Guest J-Star

James Montgomery Doohan, skådespelaren som gav oss Star Trek's berömde ingenjör "Scotty" har gått ur tiden, 85 år gammal.

Någon kanske undrar vad en sådan nörd-ikon har att göra på ett miltärforum. 6 juni 1944 klev Lt. Doohan i land i Normandie. Senare, på kvällen, sårades han av kulspruteeld och fick bland annat ett finger bortskjutet, något han dolde väl i sin roll som "Scotty".

Från StarTrek.com

You probably never noticed, while watching Star Trek in the first place, that Doohan always went to great lengths to obscure his right hand. Grab a DVD, and watch how he sits when he's in the captain's chair. Watch how he clinches his right hand in a fist when he's standing with his arms to his side. That's because "Scotty" is missing his middle finger (an incongruity, perhaps, in a futuristic setting). Well, that handicap, so cleverly hidden for years, is a direct result of that momentous day in 1944 that changed the course of the 20th century.

Lt. Doohan successfully led his Canadian troop onto Juno Beach and pushed inland to establish the best possible gun position (along the way Doohan shot two German snipers, never knowing if he killed them or just injured them). A position was secured and command posts were established, but not all Germans between the beach and their position had been captured.

"At about eleven-thirty that night, I was walking back to my command post from another command post, with Tommy O'Brennan on my right, about a foot and a half away. We were walking around a large shell hole . . .

And that was when the machine gun opened up on us.

It hit me and spun me around. Staggering, I fell down into the shell hole. Tommy hadn't been hit at all, and for a moment I hadn't fully registered that I'd been struck. I just knew something had shoved me with tremendous force.

Then I looked at my right hand and saw the blood covering it. I could see the holes in my middle finger. "

[From "Beam Me Up, Scotty" by James Doohan with Peter David]

He had three bullet holes in that one finger. He managed to walk to the regimental aid post, despite also having four bullets in his left leg. But as the doctor was removing those slugs, Doohan noticed a hole in his shirt. He had been shot in the chest. Miraculously, though, that bullet had been deflected by the sterling silver cigarette case he kept in his right shirt pocket — the one his brother Bill had given him when Jimmy was best man at his wedding. Four inches from his heart.

He kept that cigarette case for the rest of his life — and even continued using it (with the dent slightly taken out) until he quit smoking in the 1970's.

/J

R.I.P Mr Scotty

Han kommer alltid att bli minnen som en av de roliga och bra karaktärerna i Star Trek

Det Sorgliga är nu att Mr Scotty, Dr McCoy och Gene Roddenberry har gått ur tiden. Det är ej många kvar från den klassiska serien. Vilket är väldigt sorgligt

En sak är säker

De kommer att bli minda pga den klassiska Sci Fi serien som man har följt när den har gått på 5´an.

Som flera andra har sagt här.

Givakt och en tyst minut för en gammal kämpe och stor skådis.

Rest in Peace Mr Scotty

God beam Mr Scotty up please

Archived