Legosalder i Zimbabwe

oz

• 2 weeks later...

Tänkte återta tråden ni förstört för mig.

Uppdatering om läget:

Simon Mann and 71 others appeared in a Harare court yesterday, they have been charged with "conspiring to possess dangerous weapons" and aviation and immigration offences.

Mann allegedly paid Zimbabwe Defence Industries, (the STATE OWNED arms manufacturer) $US180,000 for AK47's LMG,s mortars and rocket launchers, and was waiting at Harare airport when the rest of the crew turned up to collect the weapons, and all were arrested.

They have been remanded without bail until 13 April.

Källa: Annat forum

Edited by oz

• 3 weeks later...

Det börjar tjockna ordentligt i den här smeten...

Mercenary mystery deepens

Barring a last-minute coup, the ruling party in the miniscule, oil-rich West African republic of Equatorial Guinea will win another resounding victory in legislative elections set for April 25 while we celebrate ANZAC Day. What’s that got to do with the Zimbabwe mercenaries?

It would seem that as the Harare Police and Internal Security forces investigate, it becomes clearer that the mercenaries were not destined to oust President Mugabe, but that they just might have been onforwarding to Equatorial Guinea. That was a month ago and since then, the plot has only grown more tangled and complex.

With all the speed of a house brick, details of the dimly perceived political conspiracy continue to trickle into public view. The cast of players includes 68 men, many of them former members of Battalion 32, a disbanded unit of the South African army, who were huddled inside that Boeing aircraft when it landed in Zimbabwe last month, en route from Johannesburg.

Yet in Equatorial Guinea, the smallest and least populous country in Africa, 15 people have been picked up and held for ‘investigation’ in a land with a truly harrowing human rights record. But records now show that one member has since died at the notorious Black Beach Prison after local security forces were tipped to what was said to be yet another plot to overthrow President Obiang.

Gerhard Eugen Hershz, a German national, is alleged to have died of malaria while in detention.

This may well be true, however, Equatorial Guinea's human rights record is bleak in the extreme. Torture is "the normal means of investigation" where the investigation teams advises the victim of what their confession should contain The leader of the men being detained in Malabo is a former South African military officer named Nick du Toit. In a statement aired last month on television in South Africa, he confessed to being involved in a plot to kidnap the West African country's president, bundle him aboard an aircraft and fly him to Spain. Is it true? Well, he was “investigated.”

The man who supposedly masterminded the operation — an Equato-Guinean opposition figure named Severo Moto Nsa, currently living in exile in Madrid —flatly denies any role in the affair.

Then there is the nation's new-found oil wealth, thought by many to have opened troublesome fissures in the ruling family's ranks. Once among the poorest countries in Africa, Equatorial Guinea has been producing a high-grade crude oil since 1995 and is now the third-largest petroleum producer in sub-Saharan Africa, after Nigeria and Angola.

But the republic's half-million people remain as poor as ever, with the notable exception of the president, his family and their closest supporters, who have prospered mightily. Enter Teodoro Nguema Obiang, not to be confused with the president, of whom he is the favoured son. Commonly known as Teodorin, the younger man is a jet-setting playboy who, when he is not indignantly turning down kickbacks and bribery offers as his country's Minister of Forestry and Infrastructure, is apt to be found in Los Angeles, where he owns a mansion and has been making a spirited and oil-funded bid to enter the California rap-music business.

Teodorin is also the man considered most likely to succeed his father as president of the family firm — a.k.a. the Republic of Equatorial Guinea — a prospect that pleases some of his relatives while deeply disturbing others. Is he capable of masterminding his fathers demise?

Some of the alleged mercenaries in prison in Zimbabwe have denied any involvement in a planned Equato-Guinean coup, insisting that they were bound for the Democratic Republic of Congo in order to work as security guards at a mining operation there. But such does not explain why they had maps of Equatorial Guinea aboard their airplane or why a former British special services officer named Simon Mann was waiting on the tarmac at Harare's international airport when their aircraft landed, after making a $180,000 (U.S.) down payment on a consignment of weapons and ammunition from Zimbabwe's parastatal (Semi-state) arms manufacturer.

Initially as you will remember from earlier posts, the Zimbabwean authorities seemed to fear that the planeload of former professional soldiers — a mixed bag of South Africans, Angolans and Namibians — had come to their country with the intention of ousting President Mugabe, a man with more than a few human rights blemishes of his own. It now seems that Harare was just a temporary stop, but nobody seems sure where the mercenaries were headed or what they were really up to.

Former West African warlord Charles Taylor, stands accused of genocide and other crimes against humanity, offences that were committed while he ruled over the war-wracked West African republic of Liberia raises another thought . Taylor now passes his time slaving away over sultry tropical days as a political exile in Nigeria. Some educated schools of thought say the mercenaries actually planned to apprehend Taylor and turn him over to international justice in order to collect a $2 million bounty that has been placed on his head. Rumour has it they were working for Northbridge Services Group, a British-based military contractor who refutes the claims and denies having anything to do with the affair. Cost of the plane, weapons, arrangements, contract payments, etc, might well exceed the $2 million bounty.

Meanwhile, the drama continues — and the mysteries remain – but the world will have to wait and see how many survive to come to trial and how many are withheld from the media due to an unaccounted “illness”. And Mugabe must now live with the knowledge he wasn’t important enough for a coup.

Regards

Källa: Återigen annat forum

Guest järv
Soldaterna i Zimbabwe var på väg på ett  uppdrag föranlett av ekonomiska problem. De anlände till sin destination via Harare utan problem.

Allt annat är politisk propaganda från en sjuk president.

Menar du att deras slutdestination var Zimbabwe, att de aldrig blev gripna, eller vad?

Sen är jag nyfiken om jag läser jag rätt i din profil..

SA SF 10 år

Du har varit i South African Special Forces i 10 år?

EO cirka 10 år

..och i Executive Outcome i 10 år?

Edited by järv

Guest dr_ntaba

Soldaterna i Zimbabwe var på väg på ett  uppdrag föranlett av ekonomiska problem. De anlände till sin destination via Harare utan problem.

Menar du att deras slutdestination var Zimbabwe, att de aldrig blev gripna, eller vad?

SA SF 10 år

EO cirka 10 år

Disskuterade händelsen på en annan plats och blev informerad om att de hade lämnat Harare utan problem.

Men det är svårt att hitta sanningen bakom alla dimridåer, så jag kan inte svära på att det är korrekt.

Du verkar kunna läsa. ;)

Guest järv

SA SF 10 år

EO cirka 10 år

Disskuterade händelsen på en annan plats och blev informerad om att de hade lämnat Harare utan problem.

Men det är svårt att hitta sanningen bakom alla dimridåer, så jag kan inte svära på att det är korrekt.

Du verkar kunna läsa. ;)

Ok, på eget bevåg så hälsar jag dig välkommen till forumet. :) Du kommer kanske att bli bemött med en viss skepsis i början eftersom det då och då dyker upp tomtar som påstår allt möjligt. Men har du stor erfarenhet så kommer det att märkas och uppskattas.

Edited by järv

• 1 month later...
Lite OT:

Nån som kan peka en på en sida med mer info om EO? Hörde nåt om dem på Discovery. Det var en massa om diamantgruvor i Sierra Leone eller nåt.

(nu fick jag svaret i rätt tråd... hoppas jag :D Fick lite hjärnsläpp)

De förhindrade väl typ ett inbördeskrig i Sierra Leone 1995 om jag inte tar fel. Sedan kunde inte Sierra Leones regering betala dem ordentligt, så de schappade, och Sandline tog över istället 1998. Sen vet jag inte mer än att Sandline sköt byxorna av några rebeller och alla levde lyckliga i alla sina dagar....typ.... :banana

• 3 months later...
Nån som kan peka en på en sida med mer info om EO?

Det närmaste jag har hittat är http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?tit...cutive_Outcomes, där du hittar lite info. Samt i en artikel i Der Spiegel http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/english/0,1518,298144,00.html.

Deras aktiviteter diskuteras på ett annat forum, International Military Forums, http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewt...?t=3075&start=0.

I övrigt så nämns de på en mängd sidor, bl a när det gäller privata säkerhetsföretag.

Gör en sökning på någon sökmotor och du ramlar rakt på en massa sidor.

Jag har en dokumentär om EO på datorn (samma som gick på tv för ett antal år sedan)

Problemet är att jag inte kan få ner den till under 1gb så jag måste hitta något bra att komprimera den ennu mer med.

Men om intresse av den finns så skicka ett PM så ska jag öka mina ansträgningar.

• 3 weeks later...